What are some healthy tailgating dishes?

One of the highlights of fall and winter weekends is the football tailgate party. Whether for high school, college or the pros, tailgating is as much of a tradition as foam fingers and face paint.

Tailgate food tends to mean snacks and desserts. Try these ideas for a tailgate that's easy on the waistline:
  • Start with fruit skewers and yogurt dip along with vegetables and hummus.
  • For the meal, serve deli sandwiches on whole-grain bread loaded with sliced veggies and low-fat cheese.
  • Another option is a pot of vegetarian chili and whole wheat bread.
  • If you like to grill, choose leaner cuts of meat or poultry.
  • For dessert, serve angel food cake chunks mixed with fruit and yogurt, chocolate brownies or even fruit skewers with melted chocolate.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

4 Healthy Barbecue Tips for Your Summer Cookouts
Before you fire up the grill this Memorial Day, did you know that cooking foods containing muscle—yep, not just red meat but poultry and fish, too—ove...
How can I be a healthier cook?
Sarah KriegerSarah Krieger
There are many avenues to pursue for healthier cooking, so take a look at a few of these ideas: ...
How should I sprout grains, beans, nuts or seeds?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
To sprout a grain, bean, nut, or seed, all you need is a widemouthed quart-sized mason jar with ...
What are Healthy Ways to Season and Dress a Salad?