What are the types of meat thermometers?

There are five types of meat thermometers:
  • Regular, ovenproof: Inserted in food at the beginning of cooking and remains throughout.
  • Instant-read and digital: Not intended to stay in food while cooking; gives a quick read when the stem is inserted about two inches.Pop-up: Often found already inserted in poultry. Verify that meat is done by checking the temperature with a conventional thermometer as well.
  • Microwave-safe: Designed for use in microwave ovens only.
  • Disposable thermometer: Use once and toss. Meant for grilling at picnics and tailgate parties.
Using a meat thermometer will help ensure your safety and make sure your food is cooked to your liking.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Spice Up Your Dishes to Cut Back on Salt
If you want to cut back on the salt shaker, spice things up with your dishes. According to the results of a study on decreasing salt intake, eating ca...
How can I make a quick and healthy dinner?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
One of my favorite quick and healthy dinners is a tempeh stir fry served with baked vegetarian egg r...
How should I add more bananas to my diet?
Lola O'RourkeLola O'Rourke
To add more bananas to your diet, try the following:Mix mashed ripe banana with peanut or almond but...
What Has It Been Like Applying Science to the Kitchen?