What are cooking oil sprays?

Molly Morgan
Cooking oil sprays come in a variety of options from aerosol to a fill your own spray bottle type. If you look at the nutrition facts of the purchased oil sprays you will often notice that there are 0 calories and 0 grams of fat, yet in the ingredient list there is oil. How can that be? It is because of rounding rules for nutrition fact panels. If there is less than 0.5 grams of fat per serving it rounds down to 0 grams. So let's say it's really maybe 0.3 grams of fat per serving and you use 5 servings, that is equal to about 1.5 grams of fat actually.

Cooking oil sprays are a great way to lightly add oil to foods but don't do so thinking it's really a calorie free option!
Manuel Villacorta
Cooking sprays are sprays that can help you limit the amount of oil in your cooking. A one natural spray tool is a Misto. You add your own oil rather than some processed oil spray.

Watch this video about the Misto and how much you can spray before you start getting too much oil. http://youtu.be/lzgOlY12R0E 

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Spice Up Your Dishes to Cut Back on Salt
If you want to cut back on the salt shaker, spice things up with your dishes. According to the results of a study on decreasing salt intake, eating ca...
What type of oil should I use on salads?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Canola, olive, walnut, and peanut oil are mono or polyunsaturated fats. These types of oils are heal...
How can I make cooking fun?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Cooking can be fun when you cook together as a family. This can spread out the work load of cooking ...
How Can I Feed a Large Family In an Easy and Healthy Way?