What are advanced glycation end products (AGEs)?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
Low-nutrient calories increase toxic materials in the body, such as advanced glycation end products (AGEs). AGEs are the result of a chain of chemical reactions and may be formed externally to the body by overcooking foods or inside the body though cellular metabolism. They form at a constant but slow rate in the normal body and accumulate with time, but their formation can be accelerated by your eating habits.

AGEs affect nearly every type of cell and molecule in the body and are major factors in aging and age-related chronic diseases. Their production is markedly accelerated in diabetics, and they are believed to play a causative role in the vascular complications of the disease. The secret to aging more slowly and remaining youthful is to prevent the accumulation of AGEs in the body.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Don't Let Your Healthiest Cooking Oils Go Up in Smoke
Olive, canola, peanut, sesame, grapeseed—these five heart-smart plant oils have one terrific thing in common: They're rich in monounsaturated and/or p...
At what temperatures should I cook food to kill bacteria?
Apply the minimum cooking temperature for beef, lamb and veal (145deg F); ground meats (165deg F); f...
How do I replace egg yolks in recipes?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
The fat and cholesterol is found in the egg yolks, not the whites. That's why you can use egg wh...
How Can I Feed a Large Family In an Easy and Healthy Way?