Is there a substitute for cooking oil other than applesauce?

Sarah Krieger
If you are looking to reduce the amount of butter or oil in baked breads and grain desserts, then besides applesauce you may experiment with the following foods which provide nice texture, moisture, less fat and calories and minimal added taste:
  • canned pumpkin, from frozen butternut squash or baby food carrots in muffins and yellow or chocolate cake mix
  • baby food prunes or cooked and pureed dried fruit in any chocolate cake or brownie recipe (from scratch or from mix)
  • pureed black beans in brownie mix (or from scratch)
  • pureed silken tofu
  • steamed and pureed or grated zucchini or yellow squash
It is always best to replace one ingredient at a time if you are following a recipe until it comes out the way you want.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

How can I enjoy preparing and sharing food?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Rediscover the authentic joy of preparing and sharing food by choosing to be in the kitchen, not jus...
How do I cook old recipes in a nonfat way?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Your goal is to lower the number of fat grams in your recipes. Here are a few tips to help you. Stea...
How should I pair foods with herbs and spices?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The following is a list of flavor combinations: Beef: Bay leaf, green pepper, chive, pepper, oni...
What are Healthy Ways to Season and Dress a Salad?