Is it healthy to cook food in a microwave?

Margaret Floyd
A microwave heats your food by using electromagnetic energy to create molecular friction, which both heats your food and changes its molecular shape. This means it actually changes the nature of the food and has a strong tendency to overcook it. As you've probably experienced, microwaves heat the food from the inside out, the reverse of how a stove, oven, grill, or fire would cook it. Several studies have shown that microwaved food loses a significantly higher proportion of antioxidants and vitamins, and its proteins can be negatively affected. This happens even if you're just heating up a dish that was previously cooked.
Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You

Eat Naked with Margaret Floyd for a Sexier You Are you fed up with counting calories? Confused by all the diet hype? Want to eat delicious, real food and look and feel great? Leading...
Jackie Newgent
The simple answer: yes. Often you'll be retaining more of the nutrients in foods when prepared in the microwave rather than when boiled or even steamed, for instance.

I personally (and professional) enjoy using the microwave oven due to its significant energy efficiency over a conventional oven -- which ultimately has a beneficial impact on the environment. Though minor questions about safety exist and research is ongoing, here’s the bottom line: There is no significant scientific or health research to suggest avoiding the use of the microwave oven.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

How Do I Avoid the Health Hazards of Grilling?
When Bear Grylls is taping his TV show Running Wild, he and his celebrity co-adventurers have to prepare a cook-what-you-can-find meal under the most ...
Can adding spices to my meals improve my health?
John Douillard, DCJohn Douillard, DC
Adding spices to your meals is a healthy way to boost your digestion and strengthen your overall gut...
How should I eat beans?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Stock up on beans and make them your preferred high-carbohydrate food. Add them to a salad to make a...
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue
Add Rosemary for a Better Barbecue