Is it better to cook over medium heat or high heat?

Sarah Krieger
Generally, for most recipes, it is best to start on medium heat for thorough heating without burning the outside of the food before the inside is cooked through. When cooking meats on high heat, there can be an assumption that the food is cooked through when both sides of the meat are browned. This is called a sear, which does bring nice flavor to meat. If you have a pan with a handle that is oven safe, try searing chicken breasts, for example, on either side until browned and then finish the cooking in the oven until your food thermometer is 165 or higher. For sauces, such as ground meat with marinara sauce, stick with the medium heat so the sauce is not scorched.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

What are the health benefits of cloves?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Cloves contain significant amounts of an active component called eugenol, which has made them the su...
What are some healthy summer soups?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Soup isn't just for the winter months. A chilled soup makes a perfect light and healthy meal, ap...
How do I check food temperature to prevent food-related illness?
Harmful bacteria are destroyed when foods are cooked to proper temperatures. To reduce your risk of ...
How should I pair foods with herbs and spices?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The following is a list of flavor combinations: Beef: Bay leaf, green pepper, chive, pepper, oni...