How do I make low-calorie pasta sauce?

Keri Gans
Here are five simple strategies to slim your pasta sauce:
  • Top pasta with chopped vegetables and add ½ cup of your favorite bottled red sauce.
  • Use fresh herbs—they’re an easy way to add flavor. If you use fresh basil, add it at the last minute to maximize its fresh, delicate taste.
  • For a quick, easy, nutrient-packed sauce, turn to your blender. Cook your favorite veggies, puree, add herbs and spices, and simmer. Pureed, roasted red peppers make a tasty sauce.
  • Pair pasta with low-fat, fiber-rich legumes, such as beans and lentils, instead of fat-laden meat sauces.
  • If you make your own pasta sauce, start with broths or vegetable purees as bases instead of cream and butter. If you must use fat, stick to small amounts of margarine with plant stanols or a quick spritz of olive oil or cooking spray.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Firing Up the Grill? Watch Out for These Toxins
A good grilling might elicit a confession from a bad guy at the hands of Gibbs and his crew on "NCIS," but when you put a healthy, skinless chicken br...
When should I wash fruits and vegetables?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
When you bring home fresh produce, do you wash it all before putting it into the refrigerator or...
How do I know if a dessert recipe is healthy?
Rebekah PizanaRebekah Pizana
Most dessert recipes call for the usual butter or shortening, sugar, eggs, and white flour. Anything...
How Should I Pair Foods with Herbs and Spices?