How can I include vegetables in desserts?

Marisa Moore

Adding vegetables to desserts is a great way to enjoy something sweet with a little extra nutrition benefit. There are several ways to do it.

• Create a sweet quick bread or muffin using pureed pumpkin or sweet potatoes.
  • Enjoy pumpkin or sweet potato pie. Because they are naturally sweet, you can reduce the amount of sugar you’d typically use for a pie.
  • Puree cooked black beans and add them to brownies. Sounds strange but the beans add protein and fiber and a pleasant chewiness to the finished product.
  • Zucchini is quite versatile and can be baked into breads, cobblers and cookies.
  • Roast sweet potatoes and blend with fresh ginger and milk for a smooth pudding like dessert.
Having trouble eating the recommended amount of vegetables? With a bit of creativity you can include vegetables in every meal, even dessert.
  • Carrots, pumpkin and sweet potatoes make great dessert ingredients and can be included in dishes like sweet potato pudding, pumpkin pie and carrot cake.
  • Pumpkin and zucchini work well in quick breads, such as pumpkin bread or chocolate-chip zucchini muffins.
  • Make a pumpkin smoothie by blending canned pumpkin, fat-free milk, frozen vanilla yogurt and a dash of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Spice Up Your Dishes to Cut Back on Salt
If you want to cut back on the salt shaker, spice things up with your dishes. According to the results of a study on decreasing salt intake, eating ca...
How can I make a healthy tomato soup for my kids?
Elmo has a great recipe for a healthy soup for your kids - want to know what it is? Watch as El...
Is using a juicer a healthy way to get vitamins?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Juicing can provide an easy way to get some extra nutrition in your diet, as fruits and vegetables c...
Do People Realize the Extent of the Diabetes Epidemic?