How can I get the most flavor from spices?

To get the most flavor when cooking with herbs and spices:
  • Purchase spices and herbs in small amounts. When they sit on the shelf for years they lose their flavor.
  • Use no more than 1/4 teaspoon of dried spice (3/4 of fresh) per pound of meat.
  • Add ground spices to food about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking period.
  • Add whole spices to food at least one hour before the end of the cooking period.
  • Combine herbs with oil or butter, set for 30 minutes to bring out their flavor, then brush on foods while they cook, or brush meat with oil and sprinkle herbs one hour before cooking.
  • Crush dried herbs before adding to foods.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Spice Up Your Dishes to Cut Back on Salt
If you want to cut back on the salt shaker, spice things up with your dishes. According to the results of a study on decreasing salt intake, eating ca...
How should I pair foods with herbs and spices?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The following is a list of flavor combinations: Beef: Bay leaf, green pepper, chive, pepper, oni...
How can I have a healthy diet if I do not have time to cook a meal?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
I have three words for you…Prepare…prepare..prepare! By that I mean prepare ahead of time. When you ...
What are Healthy Ways to Season and Dress a Salad?