How can I cook fresh, homemade meals if I'm a busy mom?

Sarah Krieger
As a busy mom of 3, I find the following solutions work pretty well.
  • When you have a chunk of time: 2-3 hours or so on a weekend, try preparing 2-3 meals at the same time. While a pot of marinara sauce is simmering, start a pot of pasta and another pot of brown rice. Meanwhile, roast a chicken in the oven with a bunch of carrots, potatoes and other vegetables your family loves. It may sound like a lot is going on, but these foods cook themselves, you just need to stand by! Pasta, rice and roasted vegetables will last 3-4 days in the fridge. Freeze what you won't eat in the next few days for lovely meals in a month or two.
  • When your weeknights are busy, stick with easy, nutritious meals: chicken shredded from the roasted chicken you made and tossed with BBQ sauce and served on whole grain rolls with a salad on the side or toss fresh, chopped tomatoes (that the kids helped to chop!) and add to the pasta with fresh basil and shredded cheese, for example.
  • Plan ahead, create a few menus with your family and everyone will benefit!

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

4 Healthy Barbecue Tips for Your Summer Cookouts
Before you fire up the grill this Memorial Day, did you know that cooking foods containing muscle—yep, not just red meat but poultry and fish, too—ove...
How can I improve the flavor of whole grains?
Two simple steps can underscore the hearty flavor of whole grains. First, toast the grains in a dry ...
How do I check food temperature to prevent food-related illness?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Harmful bacteria are destroyed when foods are cooked to proper temperatures. To reduce your risk of ...
Do People Realize the Extent of the Diabetes Epidemic?