How can I cook low-fat vegetables?

Vegetables may start out low-fat but can end up fat-laden by the time they hit your table. Consider these tips to keep your veggies light:
  • Sauté vegetables in broth, juice, wine or water instead of oil in a covered, nonstick pan.
  • Steam, stir-fry (in a nonstick wok or skillet), simmer, or microwave your vegetables.
  • Puree or mash potatoes, sweet potatoes and other vegetables with low-fat milk or reduced-sodium chicken broth.
  • Add a small amount of butter just before serving. Cooking dilutes butter's flavor, so you will use less if you add it last.
  • Sprinkle Parmesan or Romano cheese on vegetables for flavor and not much fat.
  • Roast or grill vegetables as a low-fat way to bring out the flavor.
  • Keep your veggies light during cooking by making easy changes to your preparation.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

What to Do with That Pumpkin You Never Carved
There it is, still sitting on the counter, cute as an oversized button: the jack-o'-lantern that wasn't. Here's how to make it the pumpkin dessert tha...
What are cooking oil sprays?
Molly MorganMolly Morgan
Cooking oil sprays come in a variety of options from aerosol to a fill your own spray bottle type. I...
How should I add more berries to my diet?
Given that you can eat berries one by one, they're the perfect alternative to chips when stress call...
What's a Safe Way to Grill Foods So They Don't Cause Cancer?