How can I add vegetables to my meals?

Toby Smithson

Vegetables can be added to breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks. At breakfast, add sliced vegetables to an omelet or a veggie burrito. For lunch add raw vegetables (bell pepper slices, sliced tomato, sliced onion) to a sandwich or prepare a homemade vegetable soup with a tomato juice base. At dinner add vegetables to a meatloaf (celery, onion, carrots and peppers) or to a chili or stew. Raw veggies with a low fat dip or salsa make for a great low calorie, high fiber snack. Thinly sliced sweet potato with a variety of spices (sweet or savory) tossed with a little olive oil and baked in the oven will make a delicious snack or side dish for a meal.

If you have trouble getting enough vegetables into your diet, you can try to add vegetables to your favorite meal. Here are tasty tricks to try:
  • Add vegetables for color, flavor, texture and crunch to your pizza. Options include broccoli, spinach, green peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini.
  • Eat crunchy vegetables instead of chips with your favorite dip or low-fat salad dressing.
  • Grill colorful vegetable kabobs packed with tomatoes, green and red peppers, mushrooms and onions.
  • Add color to salads with baby carrots, grape tomatoes or spinach leaves.
  • Stuff an omelet with vegetables, such as broccoli, squash, carrots, peppers, tomatoes or onions.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Grill Safely Without the Toxic Risks
Grill Safely Without the Toxic Risks
When the weather is just right, it’s hard not to fire up the grill. Eating a lot of grilled protein amps-up the risk of pancreatic cancer and some stu...
How do I cook tofu?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
Back in the day, we equated vegetarians with tofu, not considered one of the tastiest of foods. But ...
How should I eat green vegetables?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Greens can be served raw in salads, steamed and chopped as part of dinner, and cooked in soups.When ...
Reduce HCAs by Adding This Fruit to Your Burger