What is the healthiest way to cook whole grains?

Ximena Jimenez
Boiling is a common, healthy and easy way to cook whole grains. Heat the water to boiling, cover the pan, reduce the heat to simmer until the grain is done.

You can use vegetable broth, apple juice, vegetable juices, onions, tomatoes, garlic and your favorite seasonings to your whole grains to improve their flavor.
Peter Merola
Fitness
Whole Grains are best cooked by boiling or steaming them, I recommend to vary the amount of water based upon the consistency of the grain in which you're looking for and to avoid over cooking, the longer you cook whole grains the more likely you are to reduce their nutrient density.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

The healthiest manner in which you can enjoy the nutritional benefits of whole grains is by simply boiling or steaming them. This can be done with the help of a double boiler or grain steamer. However, the most common method is to bring the appropriate amount of water to boil in a pot with a fitted lid, add the appropriate amount of whole grain, bring to a boil again, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for the appropriate amount of time. Whole grains are excellent foods because they are low in calories, high in fiber, and high in complex carbohydrates. Since cooking whole grains in water results in a tremendous increase in their water content, they are quite satiating due to their high bulk. Whole grains can be used as breakfast cereals, inside dishes or casseroles, or as part of a main entree.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

How Do I Avoid the Health Hazards of Grilling?
When Bear Grylls is taping his TV show Running Wild, he and his celebrity co-adventurers have to prepare a cook-what-you-can-find meal under the most ...
How do I make nuts and seeds more nutritious?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
Nuts and seeds, much like beans, contain anti-nutrients. In some cases, for example with flaxsee...
How can I make bland healthy food more flavorful?
The reason why we’re drawn to fat and sugar is that they give food a lot of flavor and because they’...
How Should I Pair Foods with Herbs and Spices?