What are the health benefits of cloves?

Dr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine Specialist

Cloves contain significant amounts of an active component called eugenol, which has made them the subject of numerous health studies. These include studies on prevention of toxicity from environmental pollutants, such as carbon tetrachloride; prevention of digestive tract cancers; and treatment of joint inflammation.

In the U.S., eugenol extracts from clove have long been used in dentistry in conjunction with root canal therapy, temporary fillings, and general gum pain. Eugenol and other components of cloves, including betacaryophyllene, combine to make clove a mild anesthetic as well as an antibacterial agent. For these beneficial effects, you'll also find clove oil in some over-the-counter sore throat sprays and mouthwashes.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

How Do I Avoid the Health Hazards of Grilling?
When Bear Grylls is taping his TV show Running Wild, he and his celebrity co-adventurers have to prepare a cook-what-you-can-find meal under the most ...
How can I cook chicken so it's healthier?
With a few tweaks, even Paula Deen's favorite deep-fried chicken can be turned into health food....
What cooking methods retain antioxidants in foods?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
 As a general rule, antioxidants are lost when the food is exposed to heated water for prolonged per...
Kitchen Tools
Kitchen Tools