Can I use applesauce as a substitute for cooking oil?

Jackie Newgent
Yes, applesauce can be used as a substitute for at least some of the cooking oil in baked goods.

I generally recommend replacing up to half of the fat with an equal amount of unsweetened organic applesauce. Depending on that result, you can try to replace more the next time. This substitution can produce good results in light textured baked goods, like cake; however, applesauce has a high water content and may change the texture of other baked goods where crispness, for instance, is important.

For cookies, try some apple butter in place of some of the fat. For brownies, consider dried plum (prune) puree in place of some of the fat.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Grill Safely Without the Toxic Risks
Grill Safely Without the Toxic Risks
When the weather is just right, it’s hard not to fire up the grill. Eating a lot of grilled protein amps-up the risk of pancreatic cancer and some stu...
At what temperatures should I cook food to kill bacteria?
Cooking foods to the right temperature can kill harmful bacteria in most foods. Following are proper...
How should I serve cherries?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
You can serve cherries in the following ways: Enhance the flavor of cooked cherries by adding a ...
Healthy BBQ Tips for Your Summer Cookouts