What's the best way to use a kitchen knife?

When following any eating plan, what you do (and don't do) with your fork and spoon are your most crucial actions. But don't underestimate the power of a great knife to make what you do in the kitchen as enjoyable as what you do at the table. Overpay to buy the best 8-inch chef's knife (without serrations) you can afford. And follow these rules, to avoid leaving a finger in the guacamole:
  1. Always keep the pointed edge on the cutting board; just lever from the point and cut sliding away from you under the back end.
  2. Always cut away from yourself.
  3. As you're lining up foods with your non-cutting hand, tuck the top of your fingers under the bottoms, so you let your knuckles, not your whole fingers, be the guide.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

How Do I Avoid the Health Hazards of Grilling?
When Bear Grylls is taping his TV show Running Wild, he and his celebrity co-adventurers have to prepare a cook-what-you-can-find meal under the most ...
How do I prepare and eat artichokes?
Cheryl TallmanCheryl Tallman
Artichokes are very healthy, and peeling off petals, dipping them and scraping them your teeth m...
How can I make a quick and healthy dinner?
Keri GansKeri Gans
A delicious healthy dinner can be created in very little time. For instance, broil a piece of fi...
Healthy BBQ Tips for Your Summer Cookouts