Are butter alternatives healthy?

Cindy Gay

Soft spread margarine made with canola and olive blends are healthy. Always choose these instead of stick margarine. Spreads made with unsaturated fats are recommended. Benecol is a soft spread margarine made with plant stanols that can help lower the bad (LDL) cholesterol.

Chad Kramer
Chad Kramer on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

Margarine is made from vegetable oil, is low in saturated fat and is cholesterol-free. Due to it needing to go through a hydrogenation process so it can be solid at room temperature, it is high in transfat (thought to raise levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of good cholesterol (HDL)). There are butter alternatives on the market including soy margarine, almond butter and other non-animal-based butter alternatives that might be a better choice for people with high cholesterol or related health issues. Keep in mind that the overconsumption of anything, even something deemed as being “healthy,” is itself unhealthy. It depends on the amount of each you consume. For most, butter substitutes are safe as long as they are used in moderation. If health concerns are an issue, we recommend that the individual visit with their doctor.

Continue Learning about Cooking & Health

Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Cheat Sheet for Low-Sodium Cooking
Follow this quick checklist of sodium-slashing food-prep ideas every time you make a meal and you could be enjoying better blood pressure before you k...
How can I improve the flavor of whole grains?
Two simple steps can underscore the hearty flavor of whole grains. First, toast the grains in a dry ...
How can I have a healthy diet if I do not have time to cook a meal?
Beth OliverBeth Oliver
I have three words for you…Prepare…prepare..prepare! By that I mean prepare ahead of time. When you ...
How Can I Feed a Large Family In an Easy and Healthy Way?