Why should I avoid giving into food cravings?

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine

Every time you resist a food craving, you're one step closer to better health, says addiction specialist Dr. Mike Dow. To find out what to do instead of giving in to a food craving, watch this video.

Laura Katleman-Prue
A craving is an overwhelming desire for a particular food that screams for immediate fulfillment. Memories of eating a pleasure food entice us to want to taste it again and, voila, a craving is born. When a craving strikes, it takes over and becomes all we can think about. Not fulfilling the craving isn't even an option. The issue is not if we can have the object of our desire, but when.

When a craving is on the scene, it can feel like it's driving and we're just along for the ride. When we finally fulfill our desire, finally bite into that donut or piece of chocolate cake, we credit the food for the momentary bliss we feel.

But we have it backwards. It's the craving that caused the suffering, not our being deprived of the object of our desire. And it's the elimination of the craving that caused the bliss, not the food. We feel great because we're no longer burdened by the craving, yet we mistakenly give the credit to the chocolate cake.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Controlling Your Daily Intake of Added Sugar
How much added sugar can you have without blowing a healthy eating plan? If you want to ward off excess pounds and heart disease, heart experts recom...
How can I avoid overeating when I'm with family and friends?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Whenever you are eating with family or friends make a plan before you arrive. Having a plan in place...
How can chewing gum help curb my appetite?
You could crush that three p.m. cookie craving just by chewing a little of this -- gum. That's ...
Is Overeating Caused By Lack of Willpower?