What are the benefits of allowing myself to feel hungry?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Have you ever considered that hunger might be an aspect of the divine plan, integral to the optimal functioning of the body? Like eating, resting, and exercising, perhaps bodies need to experience hunger to run well. Could it be that hunger is how the body supports us in maintaining a healthy size?

Forget health for a moment and consider pleasure. Now that I have your attention…have you noticed how delicious food tastes when you're hungry? Even a carrot tastes like manna from heaven. When you allow yourself to get tummy-rumbling hungry, you enjoy your food in a way that isn't possible when your tank is full. When you're not full, but not quite hungry either, the taste of food and the experience of eating are not nearly as satisfying.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Curb Dieting Hunger with This Trick
Curb Dieting Hunger with This Trick
Nothing derails a new diet more quickly than constant, nagging feed-me pangs. But a new study presents a neat trick for turning the volume way down on...
When I cut calories to lose weight I am very hungry. Is this normal?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Yes. It will take some time for your body to get used to its new calorie intake. Keep your water int...
How can I avoid foods that trigger overeating?
Katie Rickel, PhDKatie Rickel, PhD
Most people have what I call a “trigger hierarchy,” a way to rank tempting foods from “impossibl...
To Lose Weight, Treat Your Appetite to a Boring Menu