What can I do to reduce my cravings for sweets?

Chris Powell
Fitness
To reduce cravings for sweets, keep in mind that you may be mistaking thirst for hunger, so try drinking water first. In this video, I eill also explain a few healthy ways to flavor your water to satisfy your sweet tooth. 
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
To reduce cravings for sweets, which happen when our blood sugar is low, you should deliver on it with quality carbs, plus some protein and good fat. In this video, I will share healthy tips for reducing a sweet craving. 
Molly Morgan
Sometimes simple swaps will do the trick to curb a craving. Here are some of my favorite simple swaps:
  • Instead of a sugary drink -- try an iced flavored (no added sugar) tea like passion tea
  • Instead of ice cream -- try creamy vanilla yogurt with sliced fruit
  • Instead of a chocolate bar -- try a banana mashed with chocolate chips
Also, I must add that distracting yourself when a craving takes hold can be very effective. Try taking a walk, calling a friend, playing with your kids, or writing a letter or email to a friend!
Lisa Lillien

If you've got a sweet tooth that just won't let up, you don't have to give in. In this video, Hungry Girl author Lisa Lillien reveals her secret weapon for killing sweet cravings instantly.

Cravings are those intense desires to eat a particular food, strong enough that you may go out of your way to get it. Researchers know we have cravings, but they don't know exactly why. A craving can mean your diet is too restrictive, or you could be craving a food that you simply haven't eaten in a long time. Don't ignore your craving: If you feel deprived, you might give up and overindulge in the craved food. Here are three steps to help you manage your cravings in a healthy way. 
  •  Distract yourself. Take a walk, listen to your favorite playlist, or call a friend. If that doesn't work and after 10 to 15 minutes your craving's still kicking, move on to step 2.
  • Trick your brain. Try eating the lowest-fat, lowest-calorie variety of the item you're craving.  
  • Feed the craving. If a low-fat treat doesn't do the trick, go out and get what you're craving. Just have a small amount of the real thing, such as a square of high-quality chocolate.
Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals.  

If you crave sugary foods, you have to retrain yourself to eat less sweets.

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about what you can do to reduce cravings for sweets.

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Add This to Your Rice to Curb All-Day Appetite
Shrink your appetite, your calorie intake, and your pants size with just one little addition to your rice: vegetables. In a study of normal-weight pe...
What are the physical signs of hunger?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
You probably think that you know what hunger feels like, but nutritional researcher and author Joel ...
What can help me stop overeating?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Keeping a food journal can help you stop overeating. Food journals make you more aware of what you a...
How Can I Overcome Food Cravings If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?