How can I control my appetite when I go to restaurants?

• Ask the server to not serve bread at the table or have everyone who wants some to take their portion and then ask the server to remove the basket. Do the same for chips.
  • Have an appetizer and a salad, rather than a main course.
  • Only have one glass of wine.
  • If you order an entrée, push half on to your bread plate and take it home for lunch or dinner the next day.
  • Ask for double vegetables and skip the grain side dish
  • Order salad dressing and any sauces on the side
  • Always “hold” the cheese, sour cream and butter options
Toby Smithson

Here is a list of a couple of tips to controlling your appetite when you eat out:

• Order a salad with the dressing on the side to help fill you up with lower calorie foods before the main course.
  • Share your meal to cut back on the portion on your plate.
  • Ask your waiter to divide your meal in half and place half of it in a doggy bag before bringing your meal to the table.
  • Sip on a 0 calorie beverage throughout the meal (water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime or a diet soda.
  • Order an extra side of vegetables without fat to help fill you up without adding a lot of calories.
  • Focus on the people you are with and the conversation instead of the food to help keep your mind off of eating.

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Sip This for Breakfast to Curb Hunger
Sip This for Breakfast to Curb Hunger
If you often feel ravenous by noon despite a good breakfast, try drinking some of this with your morning meal: skim milk. In a small study of overwei...
What is the best time to eat spicy food?
See Dr. Oz quiz his audience in a "face-off" in this video, revealing the best time is best to eat s...
What is leptin resistance?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Scientists have learned that in some people the message of satiety is never heard and then the fat c...
Exercise Harder to Eat Less
Exercise Harder to Eat Less