How can I avoid overeating when I'm with family and friends?

Eating with others is not only part of life, but also has positive effects on your overall well-being. But remember: The healthy part revolves around the company, not the food. To avoid mindless overeating:

• Be mindful and don't pace yourself with the fastest eater at the table. Instead, pace yourself with the slowest eater. Also, try to be the last person to start eating.
  • Make arrangements to do other things with friends and family besides just eat. If your plans do involve eating, make sure to also include a physical activity like a walk afterward.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Judy Caplan

Whenever you are eating with family or friends make a plan before you arrive. Having a plan in place is the number one key to success. Decide ahead of time how you will handle bread, alcohol, and desserts. If you set limits you will have structure. Structure leads to control. It also leads to freedom as strange as that may sound. When you make a plan you are choosing what you want to do. That is the freedom of choice. When you are full stop eating. Never lose sight of your goal.

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Curb Dieting Hunger with This Trick
Curb Dieting Hunger with This Trick
Nothing derails a new diet more quickly than constant, nagging feed-me pangs. But a new study presents a neat trick for turning the volume way down on...
How can I manage my food cravings?
Judith Beck, PhDJudith Beck, PhD
Label it. This is just a craving, it doesn’t mean I have to give in. Just because I want to eat th...
Is overeating caused by lack of willpower?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
New evidence seems to support the claim that you can be physiologically addicted to food--and th...
Is Overeating Caused By Lack of Willpower?