How can I avoid nighttime food cravings?

Keri Gans
One simple fix: If you typically eat dinner early—say, by 6 or 6:30 p.m.—but stay up until midnight or later, you might push your dinner back to 8 or 8:30. That way, you’ll be safely in bed before late-night cravings kick in. The solution sounds almost too simple, but it works. Another way to head off late-night cravings is to plan a healthy evening snack, and enjoy it after 9 p.m. You don’t need to pair your evening snack with protein, since you’ll be in bed in a few hours and won’t need the snack to hold you over until your next meal.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Rose Reisman
Nighttime eating is my greatest weakness. The pattern of eating "perfectly" all day, and often too little, can lead to late-night eating, usually of the "wrong" foods. Also, late-night eating usually happens when you're standing by the fridge or pantry, which makes it easier to consume many more calories than if you put something on your plate. The solution is to fuel yourself better during the day. I like to eat two thirds of my daily calories before dinner. I believe that since you're not usually active late in the evening, you don't burn calories as efficiently.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

How to Crush a Craving—Fast
How to Crush a Craving—Fast
Here's how to quickly and easily crush a craving for chocolate: Use your feet. Literally. A walk worked wonders for a small group of chocoholics. Whe...
Is overeating caused by lack of willpower?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
New evidence seems to support the claim that you can be physiologically addicted to food--and th...
How can chewing gum help curb my appetite?
You could crush that three p.m. cookie craving just by chewing a little of this -- gum. That's ...
What Is a Hunger Scale?
What Is a Hunger Scale?