Why should I avoid mindless eating?

Cassie Vanderwall

Mindless eating is when an individual eats without paying attention to what and how much they are eating. When people eat while working on the computer, watching television, or reading they often eat more than when they just, simply, eat. Mindless eating can promote weight gain and ultimately obesity.

Therefore, it is important to enjoy the food we eat and allow the mind to rest during meal times. Many suggest that people eat less and enjoy their food more when they pay attention and mindfully eat.

Here is my Deadly Habit number 4:

Mindless Eating

Hitting the vending machine at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, raiding the pantry several times a day, eating through a bag of chips before we even realized we've opened them. We're all guilty of eating without thinking about it sometimes. Problem is that often we are eating out of boredom, for a distraction, or to fill a hunger that can't be met by food. And when we fill up on junk food, we add unhealthy calories, gaining fat and stressing our liver.

Replacement: Mindful Eating

Everything we eat should nourish us, and the ability to focus on that will help us all meet our goals of losing or maintaining weight. A simple solution is to pre-plan meals, especially snacks. On Sunday night, pack a variety of healthy snacks -- 12 almonds, 1 string cheese, 2 tablespoons of cranberries, 5 dark chocolates, 18 mini pretzels -- in individual plastic bags for the week ahead. At 3 p.m. on any day, you can reach for a baggie and know you are giving your body a good boost.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Controlling Appetite

Sip This Sweet, Creamy Drink to Curb Appetite
Here's a creamy treat that can help knock both your appetite and calorie count straight to the ground: a fruit-and-yogurt smoothie. But not just any ...
How can I stop eating impulsively?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Eating impulsively is the downfall of many dieters. While the Biblical advice to avoid temptation in...
What are the consequences of indulging in a food craving and overeating?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Consequences of overeating and following a food craving when you're not hungry include:Positive ...
Daydream Your Food Cravings Away
Daydream Your Food Cravings Away