What is an etonogestrel implant?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

The etonogestrel implant (Implanon or Nexplanon) is a small rod, 1.6 inches long, that is implanted under the skin on the inside of the upper arm. The implant is placed by a trained professional and takes less than a minute. It releases a constant low dose of the progestin hormone called etonogestrel. It provides birth control for 3 years, but it can be removed at any time. Fertility quickly returns after it is removed.

The etonogestrel implant does not contain estrogen. It may be a good choice for women who want to use a hormonal form of birth control, but have had side effects with estrogen in the past.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Contraceptive

If I get migraine headaches, is it safe for me to take Yaz?
You should not use Yaz because of migraine headaches. Also, women should not take Yaz if they have a...
What medications interact with the progestin-only pill?
If you are taking dabrafenib, enzalutamide, tranexamic acid, or ulipristal, progestin-only pills can...
How does an etonogestrel implant work?
The etonogestrel implant prevents the release of an egg from the ovary, also called ovulation, for 3...
How Do Oral Contraceptives Affect Uterine Fibroids?