Who is most at risk for acute constipation?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Everyone is vulnerable to experiencing the discomfort of acute constipation from time to time. However, you are more at risk if you are not getting enough fiber in your diet, do not drink enough fluids, are inactive, or are taking certain medications. Women, especially pregnant women, and older adults are prone to this condition, and children seem to suffer from constipation more often than adults. Use of certain types of drugs such as antihistamines, narcotics and medications to relieve pain increase your risk, as well as exposure to a major illness or disorders that may obstruct the bowel, such as a hernia. Poor diet, inadequate fluids, and lack of exercise also place you at a higher risk for acute constipation.

Continue Learning about Constipation

How Are IBS and CIC Diagnosed?
How Are IBS and CIC Diagnosed?
Although irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) are common, the two conditions can be challengin...
Should I talk to my doctor about my constipation symptoms?
If you are experiencing symptoms related to constipation, such as changes in your bowel movement hab...
When should I see a doctor about constipation?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
The frequency of bowel movements among healthy people varies from three movements a day to three a w...
How to Overcome Traveler’s Constipation and Diarrhea