Should I talk to my doctor about my constipation symptoms?

If you are experiencing symptoms related to constipation, such as changes in your bowel movement habits, you may not need to see a doctor. Most cases of constipation are mild and temporary. However, if your symptoms have occurred for three weeks or more, are severe, or you are having extreme difficulty passing stools, then you should see a doctor about your constipation symptom. If left untreated, constipation can lead to complications such as hemorrhoids, rectal bleeding, fecal impaction, and diverticular disease.

Continue Learning about Constipation

Finding the Right Doctor to Treat IBS-C or CIC
Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) are common functional GI disorders. Both cause chronic co...
What is constipation?
Constipation is generally defined as having fewer than three bowel movements per week, having diffic...
How is constipation diagnosed?
SwedishSwedish
  Since constipation may have one or more causes, it is important to identify the reason(s) for the...
What to Eat for Your Constipation Type
What to Eat for Your Constipation Type