Should I use mineral oil to treat my child's constipation?

Mineral oil is only used to treat acute constipation if complications develop or other remedies such as lifestyle changes do not work. In some cases of acute constipation, adequate fiber, fluids, and exercise are not sufficient in alleviating symptoms. Therefore, your doctor may prescribe mineral oil, which works like a lubricant to help soften the stools and restore normal bowel movements. Mineral oil can be administered orally or by enema.

Some say that mineral oil can relieve constipation. The downside is that it has no nutritional benefits, and when it slides through the intestines, it quite possibly takes vitamins out along with it. If you do use it to help your child, make sure that you administer it two hours after a meal to give the body more time to absorb important nutrients. The good news is that mineral oil comes in flavors like lemon and mint.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Constipation

Let's Pretend You Have Chronic Constipation With Dr. Oz
Let's "pretend" — wink, wink — that you suffer from chronic constipation. What would you like to ask your doctor? In this video, Dr. Oz walks you thro...
Is acute constipation serious?
Acute constipation is the sudden onset of less frequent or more difficult bowel movements. The good ...
Should I be worried about constipation and diarrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Both constipation and diarrhea can be symptoms of colorectal cancer. While these conditions can also...
How Can Constipation Be Prevented?
How Can Constipation Be Prevented?