How do I know if my child is constipated?

Constipation is a common question among parents. Initially, infants can stool anywhere from 12 times a day to once a week if they're breast-fed. So constipation is not necessarily determined by how often your stools are but by how comfortable your stools are and how solid or hard they are.

So if your child is pooping every other day but it's comfortable and not hard, that is not constipation. But if your child is pooping every day, and it is really hard and clogs the toilet, that is a sign of constipation. If there is any sign of rectal bleeding, that would also be concerning and will need to be evaluated as well.

Continue Learning about Constipation

Get the Scoop on Poop for Constipation Relief
Feel like you're spending more time in the bathroom than any other room in your house? You're not alone. The average adult spends 8 to 16 days a year...
How is constipation diagnosed?
SwedishSwedish
  Since constipation may have one or more causes, it is important to identify the reason(s) for the...
How does constipation affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
In constipation, intestinal processes are slowed down for various reasons. If left untreated, consti...
What to Eat for Your Constipation Type
What to Eat for Your Constipation Type