How does exercise help treat constipation?

In many cases, constipation is caused by a diet lacking in fiber and a sedentary lifestyle. Exercise will help treat and even prevent constipation, as physical activity stimulates the intestines and helps you maintain normal, regular bowel movements. Talk to your doctor about designing an exercise plan to help treat and prevent acute constipation. If you have been inactive for a while, then start out slowly and build your way up.

Continue Learning about Constipation Treatment

What Causes Constipation—and How to Deal
In the words of one omnipresent TV commercial, if you don’t enjoy the go—or hardly go at all—you’re not alone. An American Gastroenterological Associa...
Besides a high fiber diet, what can I do for my chronic constipation?
Lisa Ganjhu, DOLisa Ganjhu, DO
Fiber is key to relieving constipation, but it’s not the only weapon in the get-regular arsenal....
How can I relieve my constipation?
You can do things to help relieve constipation. These are common tips healthcare providers recommend...
When It's Smart to Serve Fruit Juice to a Child