What do I need to know about caring for someone with constipation?

If you are caring for someone who has constipation, you should be aware of their doctor's treatment plan and help them follow it. Constipation is usually treated with a high-fiber diet, fluids, exercise, and, in some cases, fiber supplements. Ask what their daily recommended fiber intake is; most people need 15g to 35g a day. Also, if they are taking a fiber supplement, make sure they consume lots of water; otherwise, complications can develop. Many people, especially older adults, develop constipation because of a sedentary lifestyle. Help them engage in some type of physical activity on a daily basis. This helps stimulate the intestines and leads to other health benefits, as well.

Continue Learning about Constipation Treatment

6 Natural Ways to Treat Constipation
6 Natural Ways to Treat Constipation
Everybody poops. How frequently you do so, however, is a bit more personal. Some people empty their bowels a few times a day, while others go only a f...
What are the different types of laxatives?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
There are two types of laxatives, osmotic and stimulant. Osmotic laxatives are not absorbed and most...
How can I relieve my constipation?
SwedishSwedish
Dietary fiber, or bran, consists of nondigestible plant products, which should be part of a healthy ...
When It's Smart to Serve Fruit Juice to a Child