What should I do after I find out I'm pregnant?

After you've missed a menstrual period and confirmed your pregnancy with a home pregnancy test, make an appointment with your healthcare professional.

Meeting with a healthcare professional early on (even before you get pregnant if you are planning to conceive) is important for all women, but especially important if you have any medical conditions or family health problems that could put you or your baby at risk.

Certain conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure, can affect the health of the fetus if you don't have them under control before you get pregnant or in the early stages of your pregnancy.

Once you learn that you're pregnant, the first thing you'll want to do is establish care with an OBGYN (obstetrician-gynecologist). This can be done in several ways. First, ask friends, family, women you know that have just had babies, who their doctor was. Ask them about their experience and if they would recommend the same doctor. Next, do research on that doctor. You can find trusted websites on the internet, and then make an appointment with that physician.

During that time, you'll be able to figure out what his or her practice is like and to know if you're a good fit with that practice and to see if what you desire for your pregnancy is the same thing that the doctor desires for you. At that first appointment you will get your very first ultrasound. At that ultrasound, you'll be given a due date. That's the most accurate way to get an accurate due date for the pregnancy. During that ultrasound, they'll be able to tell you if the fetus is growing well. If there is a fetal heartbeat you'll be able to see it on the monitor.

Continue Learning about Conception Achieved (Pregnancy)

How does the mother's body know not to reject the fetus?
The human body is designed to retaliate when a foreign matter invades it; that rebellion can come in...
How many weeks does it take to know if I am pregnant?
Dr. Margaret L. McKenzie, MDDr. Margaret L. McKenzie, MD
It takes a number of weeks for you to know if you are pregnant. Watch this video to learn how long i...
How is ovarian reserve measured?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Ovarian reserve can be measured by laboratory tests that can be done if a woman is having difficulty...
Can Using Birth Control at Conception Cause a Problem with the Baby's Development?