How does the mother's body know not to reject the fetus?

The human body is designed to retaliate when a foreign matter invades it; that rebellion can come in the form of fevers, vomit, diarrhea, and the like, as your body finds ways to expel the bacteria, virus, or spoiled scallop. Yet in pregnancy, the mother's body shifts from rebel mode to ally mode, as it nurtures, feeds, and makes peace with what the body should perceive as a foreign invader—the fetus.

Remember that 50 percent of the fetus's genes are from the father and theoretically can carry information that could sabotage the relationship between mother and child. But the mother's immune system overlooks this fact and seeks to protect the child anyway. In a way, you can consider pregnancy an immuno-suppressed state; the volume of mom's immune system is turned down as it deals with this foreign, yet welcome, invader.

The most dangerous time for the newly created creature that is to become your child is prior to implantation in the uterine wall. If mom's immune system is not suppressed when the fertilized egg tries to land, it's bye-bye blastocyst. So exactly one day before implantation—six days after conception—the blastocyst produces a special enzyme that suppresses mom's killer T cells, preventing her from having an immune reaction against the baby-to-be's cells. Once the placenta is formed after implantation, it helps maintain the truce between these two potential adversaries.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Conception Achieved (Pregnancy)

What happens after fertilization?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Fertilization results in the creation of a zygote. The zygote begins the process of cleavage or cell...
How is ovarian reserve measured?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
Ovarian reserve can be measured by laboratory tests that can be done if a woman is having difficulty...
How much weight should I gain during pregnancy?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
Weight gain in pregnancy depends upon the mother’s prepregnancy weight. The table below (from the Am...
Can Using Birth Control at Conception Cause a Problem with the Baby's Development?