What happens after fertilization?

Fertilization results in the creation of a zygote. The zygote begins the process of cleavage or cellular replication, resulting in a morula or ball of cells. At 3 days post-conception a solid ball of 16 cells is present. This blastomere begins to separate into two parts: the trophoblast or outer layer of cells, which will form the placenta, and an inner cell mass or embryoblast, which will begin to differentiate and evolve into the embryo, and a cavity forms within the cell mass. When the cavity is recognizable, the structure of the developing embryo is called a blastocyst. The blastocyst will then implant into the endometrium lining.

Continue Learning about Conception Achieved (Pregnancy)

What happens if I am pregnant and past my due date?
Kimberly D. McCulloch, MDKimberly D. McCulloch, MD
Post-term pregnancy is defined as a pregnancy lasting 41 weeks or beyond, and there is a slight ...
How is my due date calculated?
Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and ChildrenTulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children
Your due date is calculated by adding 280 days (40 weeks) to the first day of your last menstrual pe...
What can affect my home pregnancy test (HPTs) results?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Most medicines should not affect the results of a home pregnancy test (HPT). This includes over-the-...
Can Using Birth Control at Conception Cause a Problem with the Baby's Development?