Is complex sleep apnea a sleep disorder?

Yes, while newly recognized, it is a form of central sleep apnea (where your brain tells your lungs not to breathe) that can emerge when treating obstructive sleep apnea ( where there is some type of blockage in your nose, mouth, or throat) with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (AKA CPAP). It is called complex since it is difficult to treat with known treatment options. There are however new types of CPAP machines that have been able to treat complex sleep apnea.   

Complex sleep apnea is a form of central sleep apnea, a sleep disorder. It develops as a result of treatment for obstructive sleep apnea. Instead being helped by the therapy CPAP, the body develops central sleep apnea instead. In general, men are more likely to have sleep apnea than women, and this is especially the case with complex sleep apnea - in a recent study, 81 percent of sufferers were men. Sleep apneas are potentially dangerous and should be treated by a doctor.

Continue Learning about Complex Sleep Apnea

What causes complex sleep apnea?
Complex sleep apnea develops in people who already have obstructive sleep apnea and have used the tr...
What are the treatment options for complex sleep apnea?
Many treatment options are available for complex sleep apnea. Your doctor will be able to suggest th...
How is complex sleep apnea diagnosed?
If you were diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, used CPAP treatment, but still have apnea sympto...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?