Why are the warts on the soles of the feet painful?

Plantar warts or warts on the soles of the feet can be extremely painful when you apply pressure with standing, walking, or running. People who have plantar warts say they feel like a pebble is in the shoe when they stand. Caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), plantar warts are flat with tiny black dots that are clotted blood vessels. Plantar warts are hard to treat because so much of the wart itself lies under the skin. Your doctor can advise you in treating a plantar wart and can suggest ways to eliminate pressure on the wart.

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
How can I tell if a skin bump is a wart?
Lisa J. Broyles, MDLisa J. Broyles, MD
Warts can come in all shapes and sizes and can be anywhere.  They are usually flesh colored and ra...
What did the doctor paint on my son’s wart to make it go away?
Assuming your son was diagnosed with the creatively named “common wart,” his doc probably applied a ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone who has periungual warts?
If someone you know has periungual warts, avoid direct contact with the warts or wash your hands tho...