What does a wart feel like?

Warts are usually small bumps or clusters of bumps on the skin caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). These bumps can feel smooth or rough. Sometimes a wart feels like a stalk of cauliflower to touch. If a wart is on the arm or leg, you may not notice it at all. However, if a wart is on the sole of your foot (plantar wart), you may feel like a hard pebble is in your shoe each time you stand up. Genital warts can become irritated and painful, while flat warts on the face may cause pain with shaving for men.

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
What happens after the doctor paints cantharidin on my son’s wart?
First, your doctor should cover the area he “painted” with a bandage. Underneath, the cantharidin wi...
How can I tell if a skin bump is a wart?
The only way to tell for sure if a skin bump is a wart is to ask your doctor. Warts are small skin...
What are periungual warts?
Periungual warts are warts that form under and around the fingernails and toenails. These are a ...