What causes a wart?

Warts develop when the human papillomavirus (HPV) forces your body to produce excess skin. Although they're harmless, warts can cause pain. Painful or unsightly warts can be removed by a doctor, but they usually clear up on their own in time.

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
Why are warts more common in children?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Warts are caused by the papilloma virus and 20% of children and 10% of adults have warts right now. ...
What did the doctor paint on my son’s wart to make it go away?
Assuming your son was diagnosed with the creatively named “common wart,” his doc probably applied a ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with subungual warts?
When caring for someone with subungual warts it is important to watch for ways in which they may spr...