What causes a wart?

Warts develop when the human papillomavirus (HPV) forces your body to produce excess skin. Although they're harmless, warts can cause pain. Painful or unsightly warts can be removed by a doctor, but they usually clear up on their own in time.

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with warts?
Anytime someone experiences a change to their skin, it is helpful to encourage them to seek a ph...
How do people get warts?
Warts are growths in and under the skin that are caused by the Human Papillomavirus. They come i...
How can I tell if the rough bumps around my toenails are warts?
Warts that appear around or under the toenails or fingernails are subungual and periungual warts. ...