How do doctors treat warts?

Since there are as many types of warts as shoes in your daughter’s closet, treatment depends on the type you have. Doctors typically treat common warts by applying strong salicylic acid preparations. Doctors can also treat warts with cryotherapy. Cryo is the Greek word for cold, so in this technique, docs use liquid nitrogen (the stuff you see fancy molecular gastronomist chefs using these days) to freeze the warts off. Docs can also burn them off with electrosurgery. Don’t worry, the treatments are not extremely painful and they only take a few minutes. Treatments are repeated every couple of weeks as needed.

Kids are lucky. Sometimes when they get a wart, it clears up on its own. No freezing or burning necessary. And Mehmet’s kids get the suffocate-it treatment with duct tape.

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
How can I tell if the rough bumps around my toenails are warts?
Warts that appear around or under the toenails or fingernails are subungual and periungual warts. ...
Can my child’s wart spread to other parts of her body?
Because warts populate through a virus (the human papillomavirus, or HPV), they can spread to othe...
What is "verrucae"?
"Verrucae" is the medical term for warts. Warts are harmless skin growths that commonly appear on yo...