What happens after the doctor paints cantharidin on my son’s wart?

First, your doctor should cover the area he “painted” with a bandage. Underneath, the cantharidin will cause the skin around and under your son’s wart to blister. As the skin heals, the blister (as well as the wart) peels off. However, note that treating warts with cantharidin is not well-researched or widely used, and it is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
How can I prevent warts?
One of the best ways to help prevent flat warts is to avoid irritating the skin. However, if you...
What is “verruca”?
Verruca is the Latin word for wart. When doctors talk about warts, they may use this term, which...
Should I talk to my doctor about my warts?
Most warts do not require medical attention. However, people may choose to have them removed for...