Does it hurt when a doctor uses cantharidin to remove a wart?

If a doctor used cantharidin to remove a wart, it probably will hurt. When it is applied, a blister forms under and around the wart. And blisters hurt! Think about all the blisters you’ve gotten before breaking in a new pair of shoes. Doctors usually cover the treated area with a bandage to reduce the pressure and the pain, and to keep it from getting infected, just like you might cover your blister with a band-aid. However, note that cantharidin wart treatment is not well-researched or widely used, and it is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Continue Learning about Warts

Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
Wart Worry? How to Get Rid of Them
In the children’s book The Witch with a Wart, an old hag discovers she has a wart on her nose (of course!). Eager to have it disappear, she brews up a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with warts?
If you are caring for someone with warts, ensure that both you and the person in your care practice ...
Is there a cure for warts?
While individual warts may be removed, there is no one treatment that will prevent a person from...
Will removing a wart scar my skin?
Yes, some surgical or chemical wart removal options could cause scarring. You should consult a p...