What are porcelain tooth restorations?

Porcelain is a glasslike material that can be used by itself in restorations, or bonded to another material for extra strength.
  • All-porcelain restorations have a color and translucency that look like natural tooth enamel. However, they can crack under pressure, so they may not be the best option for teeth in the back of the mouth.
  • Porcelain fused to metal is stronger than porcelain alone. More of the existing tooth must be removed to make room for this type of restoration.
  • Porcelain fused to zirconia is very strong and durable. It can be matched to the exact color of your teeth. This type of material may be more expensive than all-porcelain or porcelain-fused-to-metal restorations.

Continue Learning about Common Dental Procedures

What is recontouring of the teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Recontour means to change the shape or look of something. In dentistry this can mean changing the co...
Can teeth or a jaw be reconstructed after head or neck surgery?
After head or neck surgery, your surgeon can perform reconstructive surgery to restore your jaw ...
What should I discuss with my dentist before a dental procedure?
The American Dental Association (ADA) urges you to take an active role in your oral health care. Thi...
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?