What should I discuss with my dentist before a dental procedure?

The American Dental Association (ADA) urges you to take an active role in your oral health care. This includes knowing your health status and telling your dentist about any illnesses or health conditions, whether you are taking any medications (prescription or non-prescription), and whether you've ever had any problems such as allergic reactions to any medications. It also includes understanding the risks and benefits involved in dental treatment, so that you and your dentist can make the best decisions about the treatment that is right for you.

Continue Learning about Common Dental Procedures

What happens during a regular dental appointment?
Dr. Julie P. Cho, DMDDr. Julie P. Cho, DMD
When patients make a "regular" dental appointment, the assumption is they are coming in for a dental...
What does the process of recontouring involve?
William M. Litaker Jr., DDSWilliam M. Litaker Jr., DDS
Recontouring is a cosmetic dental procedure. Teeth that are uneven, jagged, or sharp can sometimes b...
Why do crowns and bridges require multiple dental visits?
Paul Rubin, DDSPaul Rubin, DDS
They don't always! Traditionally, crowns or bridges need to be made by a lab technician outside of t...
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?