What can cause my face to burn in pain after dental work?

Jeffrey A. Brown, MD
Neurosurgery
Dental work or nasal surgery can spark or “kindle” a unique kind of pain that comes from the nerve to your face and not from your teeth or jaw. This “neuropathic” pain typically has electrical quality to it and does not respond to anti-inflammatory medicines or traditional pain medicines. The cause is thought to be a kind of “short circuit” of the nerve caused by an artery or vein pulsating against the nerve near the brainstem, the problem is not in your face, jaw or teeth. The pain may be alleviated by a medicine that is also used to treat seizures. It works by slowing electrical conduction in the nerve. To be sure of the cause, you may want to see a neurologist or neurosurgeon who has experience in treating facial nerve pain.

Continue Learning about Common Dental Procedures

What is a professional fluoride treatment?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you or a family member are at a moderate-to-high risk of developing tooth decay, a profession...
When are metals used in tooth restorations?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
When there is limited space for the restoration, metal is a good choice. A thickness of 0.7mm still ...
What should I find out before undergoing a tooth restoration?
When your dentist tells you that you need to have a tooth restoration, your tooth is going to be...
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?
Is Teeth Whitening Safe?