What should I look for when purchasing cardio equipment for my home gym?

What I always tell my clients when they are looking for home cardio equipment is make sure you are going to use it.  Most of the time have good intentions of buying fitness equipment for the home but after a few weeks never use it.  Another thing you want is to buy commercial.  Home based equipment uses cheap parts and if you dont get the warranty you will be out of money.  So go to the manufactures website to get the used commerical equipment for a fraction of the cost.
When purchasing cardiovascular equipment for a home, you must first think about your goals and how that piece equipment will fit into your workout program. If you are looking to achieve weight loss or to just improve your fitness level, you will need equipment on which you can exercise at different intensities. You will be completing some steady-state (low intensity) training days as well as days with high-intensity intervals. Can this piece of equipment handle the intervals? Is it easy to adjust the workloads (speed, incline, watts, level)? Can it go to high enough levels to create the intensity you need as well as be able to go at a low intensity for your recovery periods? You will also have to think about whether you like the mode of exercise enough to stay on it for long periods of time. If you don’t like cycling, it might not be wise to get a stationary bike just because it fits into your designated workout space. Another thing to consider is if you are able to run or walk outside, then you probably do not need a treadmill. In this case, maybe a bike or elliptical would be better for cross training. After deciding on the piece of equipment, quality is the most important factor. You want to make sure the equipment will hold up and be dependable for you.

Continue Learning about Exercise Equipment

What are some innovative equipment products that are on the market?
Some of the new equipment being used are the TRX suspension cable system. Essentially it is a maneuv...
What is a resistance band?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Resistance bands are wide, stretchy strips that are available in several levels of resistance, d...
How should I choose resistance tubing?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
When choosing resistance tubing, look for tubing in several levels of resistance and with padded...
5 Tips to Spice Up Your Workout Routine
5 Tips to Spice Up Your Workout Routine