I'm pretty sore from my workout. It is okay to foam roll anyway?

Joel Merritt
Fitness
Yes, foam rolling may actually help relieve some of the soreness that you are experiencing.  However, make sure to listen to your body.  If the foam rolling causes too much pain you might want to give the body some more time to recover.  As I have worked with my clients I have found that most of the time foam rolling actually helps them recover from soreness more quickly as it helps to release tention in the muscle.

Yes, assuming you can still relax while foam rolling it can be beneficial. In addition to decreasing tension and knots in the muscle, foam rolling also increases blood supply which is necessary to help flush toxins out of sore muscles. Depending on the extent of your soreness and inability to relax, you may need to place the foam roll on a softer surface which can help decrease the pressure on the sore muscle.

Continue Learning about Exercise Equipment

What is the name of the jumping tool that does not have handles?
There are several products on the market that are handle less jumping tools. Three popular ones are ...
How can I incorporate resistance bands into my power training?
To improve power, one must perform movements in a fast explosive fashion. Resistance bands can be an...
What is the benefit of a foam roller compared to other forms of stretching?
Stretching is very beneficial and cannot be neglected. But in the case of knots in muscle, stretchin...
5 Tips to Spice Up Your Workout Routine
5 Tips to Spice Up Your Workout Routine