How do I foam roll my lower leg?

To foam roll the lower leg just watch this attached video.  The lower leg typically means you will be rolling the calf region and Wendy does a great job of showing that here.

I believe that foam rolling is one of the most important things you can do to improve flexibility and reduce injury.  One thing I would like to mention is it is important for you to look at the density of the foam roller you are using.  If your muscles are extremely tender then a very dense foam roller may not be the best fit in the beginning.

If your muscles are not as sensitive or your pain tolerance is higher then a more dense foam roller is adequate.  Foam rollers are generally very cheap (20 to 25 $) so I personally keep a white roller (less dense) and a black roller (more dense) around depending on the tenderness of the particular area of my body.  For review here are some of the benefits of foam rolling.

Benefits of Self-Myofascial Release

• correct Muscle Imbalances
  • increase joint range of motion
  • decrease muscle soreness&relieve joint stress
  • increase extensibility of the muscle-tendon junction
  • increase neuromuscular efficiency
  • maintain normal functional muscular length

Foam rolling your lower leg is quite easy.  Simply place the foam roller on the ground and place under your ankle below your calf.  Now just lift your body off the ground using your arms to roll the foam roller up and down your calf.  You can also twist your legs from the left or right to make sure you are getting all areas.  You can either do both legs at the same time or for a little extra pressure do leg at a time by putting one leg on top of the other.  Move the foam roller up and down for about 20-30 seconds.  You may need to repeat this 2-3 times to get the best benefits.

You can also foam roll the upper leg. To foam roll you quadriceps (front of your thigh) you will have to be in a quadruped position ( on hands/forearms and knees) place the foam roller close to your knees and slowly lower your thighs on to the roller, using your hands/forearms to hold you and to guide you up and down the thigh. Once you find a knot hold that spot for 30 seconds.

Begin foam rolling by sitting down and placing the foam roll underneath the lower leg (calf muscle) just above the ankle. Lift your body off the ground and place body weight on the foam roll. Slowly roll up the lower leg by scooting your rear-end along the floor, as you search for tender areas or knots in the muscle. Once you find a tender area, stop and hold the pressure for 30 seconds. The self-massage helps to release tension in the muscle.

Continue Learning about Exercise Equipment

How can I exercise using a stability ball row?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
To perform a 2-arm dumbbell row on the ball, first choose a weight. Begin by lying face down on the ...
What is foam rolling?
Kevin Weston , NASM Elite TrainerKevin Weston , NASM Elite Trainer
Foam rolling is what some fitness experts call a ‘poor man’s massage’ because the person can apply ...
Does the use of a vibrating belt cause complications?
Vibrating belts are not recommended for people with a pacemaker installed or other types of heart or...
5 Tips to Spice Up Your Workout Routine
5 Tips to Spice Up Your Workout Routine