Why do I need to drink so much prep solution before my colonoscopy?

This is a very common question and very understandable! We ask that you drink the preparation so that the colon is completely cleansed of all fecal material. This will result in the best test for you, since polyps can sometimes be tricky and hide behind folds in the colon or underneath small amounts of feces. The prep that we give is the safest one as there have been reports of kidney damage with some of the alternatives. As long as the stool looks like urine (yellow, rather than clear) with no brown particles, this degree of cleansing is adequate for colonoscopy.

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

What happens if a polyp is found during a colonoscopy?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
More than 90 percent of polyps found during a colonoscopy are removed by the gastroenterologist at t...
What is the preparation for a colonoscopy like?
Prior to having your colonoscopy, your doctor will make arrangements for you to have a bowel prep, w...
Time for a Colonoscopy? 3 Things You Should Know
Why Do I Need a Colonoscopy Every 10 Years?