What should I expect before a colonoscopy?

Colon cancer is one of the most common cancers in the U.S. and used to be one of the most deadly. But if it’s caught early, colon cancer actually is curable, and the treatment is relatively easy. A colonoscopy is the most involved test, but the good news is that people with an average risk for colon cancer only have to do it every 10 years. Make an appointment now and be done for a decade. 

Before the exam, instructions often require a special diet and laxatives to help clear out the colon; an enema also may be necessary before the procedure. This exam prerequisite is the part that most folks dislike.

Continue Learning about Colonoscopy

What are some easy colonoscopy options?
Noninvasive colonoscopy screenings are just a prescription away, so listen up you reluctant 40% ...
Is colonoscopy safe?
David Greenwald, MDDavid Greenwald, MD
Colonoscopy is very safe when performed by specially trained doctors with experience performing the ...
Who Should Get a Colonoscopy?
Who Should Get a Colonoscopy?
Why Do I Need a Colonoscopy Only Every 10 Years?